Tips to enhance your English speaking skills for IELTS Test
The speaking test in an IELTS exam lasts for around 11-14 minutes. It includes 3 parts. Part 1 (4-5 minutes) is introduction and interview under which you are required to introduce yourself. In part 2 (3-4 minutes) you are required to speak for 2 minutes on the topic mentioned in the given task card for which you get a minute to prepare, and part 3 (4-5 minutes) is a follow up round under which the examiner asks you questions related to the topic of part 2.
Speaking test assesses you ability to communicate in English, use of language appropriately, and express your opinions on various topics.
Let’s discuss some tips that will help you in honing your speaking skills for IELTS test:
- Try talking in English in your day to day life as much as possible.
- Stay relaxed and speak as fluently as possible.
- It is not necessary to speak in long sentences and use uncommon words. You may use simple and short language.
- Stay confident and enjoy the language while you speak.
- Speak as much as it is appropriate to answer the examiner’s question. Do not speak too much or to less.
- Prepare your answers well. You are given time of 1-2 minutes to prepare.
- It is not advisable to answer if you do not understand the question.
- Do not hesitate to ask for clarification when necessary.
- Do not use learnt answers. The examiner is smart enough to track you and change the question.
- Express your opinions clearly. You will be assessed on your ability to communicate and express.
- The topics in part 1 and part 2 will be familiar, making it easy to answer. So, keep practicing personal and familiar topics.
- The questions asked in the IELTS Speaking Test are fairly predictable. So, practice at home regularly and prepare yourself.
The best way to successfully attempt speaking test is to regularly practice speaking in English with family, friends, and in front of a mirror. Additionally, the tips mentioned above will help you in improving your speaking for IELTS Test.