TIPS TO MAKE YOUR SOP (STATEMENT OF PURPOSE) STAND OUT
Just like a man without a purpose is a ship without a rudder, in the same way, admission documents without an impressive statement of purpose are documents without intent. Since intent matters to admission officers abroad, it is important to present a good statement of purpose.
The statement of purpose shows the admission authorities, how motivated the student is for doing the course for which he/she is seeking admission. It becomes even more important in top universities as most of the students applying have similar qualifications and skill set. The students with a more impressive statement of purpose have higher chances of securing admission.
Here, are some tips for making your statement of purpose:
- It is very important to understand the objectives of the program. After you know well what the programme is all about, make sure that your statement of purpose is aligned with the objectives of the program.
- Develop a vision of how you would implement what you learn in making a positive difference to the concerned industry after you complete the course.
- Always mention how your previous experience and qualifications align with the objectives of the programme you have applied for. If you don’t hold any experience or qualification in the concerned field, focus on your accomplishments in the other fields that may be applicable to the current program.
- It is good to talk of the research work done by you earlier. In case if you have not done any, display your naivety in understanding of what research is in the statement of purpose.
After you are done writing statement of purpose, make sure that following points are included in it:
- Your motivation/vision is clearly mentioned.
- Your accomplishments should be in adherence to your vision.
- Display an open to learning Do not exhibit a know-it-all attitude.
- Make sure that you understand the importance of research.
It is also important to know that statement of purpose alone is not enough for securing admission. You also need to maintain other required documents.